Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Pride and Perplexity

Some time ago, I was walking into Dunkin Donuts and the girl behind the counter goes "I see you in here a lot, what's your name? I said "Mark." She goes "Oh, OK, you kind of look like a Sebastian." I remember that so clearly because it was the absolute most random thing coupled with a very uncommon name. So, I didn't see that girl again for a couple of months, but this morning the iced coffee making identity guesser was back. Thinking it would be funny, the second I saw her, I went "Unda Da Sea!" She looked at me as if I was some kind of crazed crustacean, clearly not remembering that special moment we had shared. This was astounding to me for two reasons. Firstly, it completely ticks me off when a joke doesn't work, although this is a feeling I have somewhat gotten used to :( Second, if you've known me for any length of time, I've probably introduced myself to you on more than one occasion. I'd be willing to bet all of the money in my steadily growing retirement fund that you've never used the phrase "Let's ask Mark, I'll bet he remembers." So there I was, standing amidst a mixed bag of emotions. Feeling proud of the, if very brief, rejuvenation of my recall ability, but also confused as to where to take the conversation after referencing an inside joke that the other person no longer remembers. However, this feeling of awkwardness and joy has come to encompass my entire existence and has led to a working title for my eventual autobiography, Pride and Perplexity

No comments:

Post a Comment